The Bozeman American Legion will honor all veterans on Memorial Day beginning on May 26 & 27, 2022 by putting U.S. flags on all the veterans’ graves in Sunset Hills Cemetery. There are approximately 2800 veterans buried in Sunset Hills Cemetery.
On Memorial Day, Monday May 30, 2022 the American Legions’ day will start at 5 a.m. with preparation of the Memorial Day breakfast upstairs in the Legion Hall.
The following is a list of the day’s events:
- Put up 90 U.S. flags on Main Street starting at 6 a.m. All volunteers are welcome to help put up the flags.
- Breakfast starts at 7 a.m. upstairs at the Legion Hall. All are welcome. Donations are appreciated.
- Parade begins at 9:30 a.m. at 7th Street and Main Street and ends at Broadway by the Paint Pot. Normally there is standing room only on both sides of Main Street.
- The Memorial Service at the cemetery begins at 11:30 a.m. by the Vietnam Wall Memorial in Sunset Hills Cemetery. The ceremony includes an honor guard, a 21 shot volley, taps, and guest speakers honoring veterans. After this ceremony there will be the dedication of the Gold Star Family Memorial. This is the first official Gold Star Family Monument in the state of Montana and completes a monument in every state of the United States. Woody Williams (the last World War II Medal of Honor Veteran and member of the foundation) will speak and conduct the dedication ceremony.
- 90 U.S. flags will be taken down on Main Street at 4 P.M. and stored in the American Legion Hall. All volunteers are welcome to help take down the flags.